Yep, I’m headed to bed to read and finish this bottle glass of wine:
Since I partied so heartily last night, I owe it to myself to stay in tonight so I can be rested for the 8 mile run I skipped this morning!
I went to the gym today, lifted, ran one mile on the treadmill and then climbed about two miles straight up on the stair climber.
I made mom’s famous Shrimp Fiesta Soup for dinner –
It’s to die for – and really easy:
- 1 medium yellow onion (I love vidalias)
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 32 oz. chicken broth
- 2 small cans of Rotel tomatoes
- 1/3 cup of salsa
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1 or 2 lbs. cooked shrimp, peeled, no tails
- I also add some jalapeno slices, just for extra spice
- Garnish: sliced avocado, cilantro, tortilla chips, lime and cheddar cheese (I didn’t have any cheddar so I used mozzarella – it was fine.)
Just saute the garlic and onion in your stock pot with some oil, then add the broth, tomatoes, salsa and corn, and simmer a while. Add the cooked shrimp and simmer for 10 more minutes before serving – and voila!
When I started cooking I realized we didn’t have any salsa, so I made my own – a first for me!
I just used some canned tomatoes and some fresh diced ones, some onion, lime, garlic, green chile, jalapeno, garlic salt, and cilantro. It was actually pretty awesome!
I have a little Cuisinart food prep that I love – it’s perfect for making sauces and dips. (I also use it when I make pesto.)
Mkay – off to bed – goodnight!