So I jumped back into my training plan (or my current version of it) this week after taking a bit of a hiatus during my vacation and I was actually excited yesterday about doing 4×1600 @ 8:24 (with 800 recovery jogs). I totally nailed my 3×1600 @ 8:32 in week 6, so I was a little cocky. Naturally, things did not go well.
I hit 8:28, 8:23, 8:30, 8:35 and my legs felt trashed after the very first mile. During the last mile, I wanted to barf.
Here are a few excuses I’m tossing around:
- It was hotter than I expected (70s and sunny)
- I didn’t feel adequately hydrated (haven’t been drinking booze but apparently not enough water either)
- I’m still feeling sluggish from vacation
- No strength/conditioning at all last week
- I probably ran too hard on Monday (7 mile progression averaging 10:00)
- My training plan is fucked beyond repair
What’s your go-to excuse when you botch a run? What first-world problem are you having this week?